Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Romcoms

I spent most of yesterday evening watching a series called Banshee. It is so full of blood, gore  and sex that it can give anyone nightmares. For some reason at some point I actually liked watching it but now I can barely bring myself to look at the screen and yet I cannot look away. So today I decided to watch a Romcom, just to soothe the nerves. Now Du, our telecom service provider has a pathetic collection of romance movies. It was a choice between Sabrina and Leap Year, I went with the latter because I've seen Sabrina way too many times and I'm not ashamed to admit that I like it. I like candy floss kind of movies.

A lot of times my husband ends up having to watch them with me on the television. He wouldn't be caught dead watching one in the theatre. And you know how there are these little dialogues that one loves in these movies, the little moments. Let me give you an example, Julia Roberts to Hugh Grant in Notting Hill,"You know the fame thing. It isn't real. I'm just a girl standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her." Or another example is the famous,"You complete me." speech rendered so eloquently by Tom Cruise to Renee Zellweger in 'Jerry Maguire'. Another perfect example is the movie Sense and Sensibility when Hugh Grant comes to visit Emma Thompson and tells her he is not married and she bursts into tears.

Somehow by some unfortunate miracle, my husband will ask me me an all important question at that exact moment that I've been waiting for the dialogue to be delivered in the movie. Every. Single. Time. If the movie is playing on the television I cannot rewind and watch the scene again whereas if it is taped I do rewind it but then it's not the same. I still don't know how he knows the exact time to speak and break the mesmerising hold the movie has on me but he does it. He murders my romance movies so well.

He almost did it today too while the hero was proposing to the heroine. Instinctively I looked at him, waiting for him to ask me something. Nothing. But the moment it was over he mumbled to himself,"I hate Parul. She makes me watch these movies."

No comments: