Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Sherlock my baby cat

First of all here's a collection of videos of Sherlock, the kitten  in case I forget to add it later! 

This little guy was born on the 2nd of September 2020 in Connie Shabu's house and I shall get into all the annoying little details of how he finally became my youngest. 

So to start with I always thought cats hate me. I was once bit and had to get the necessary shots. A few kittens scratched me wildly in Cyprus. I still liked them because let's face it they're just so cute. 


I once came across a ginger kitten barely a few weeks old who kept following me after I got out of my favourite Kebab restaurant. (If you're ever in Dubai, I'll take you there!) I picked him up gingerly knowing full well that I was almost guaranteed to be bit but I have a terribly stupid amount of courage when it comes to things I love. He didn't bite. He didn't jump out of my arms but I couldn't convince Anshuman to take him home. It broke my heart that I couldn't rescue that little fellow.

Fast forward to almost a year later. I kept gnawing at my husband's brain and even though he held on to his conviction that he hates cats for the longest time, in the end I cajoled him into allowing me to try "Trial adoption". I researched all over Facebook rescue pages and after talking to a few people destiny led me to a Godsend angel called Connie. A stray cat had given birth to four identical kittens (3 girls and a boy) in her house and she was trying to find homes for them. I'm terrible with names and of course I forgot hers . I saved her number as B&W Cat Lady. We had a good laugh about it when we connected on the phone. 

I asked her to give me the most laid back kitten she had. She recommended the male as he seemed the most friendly of the lot. She came home and we could barely see each other's faces because of bastard Covid. My boy got out of the crate and seemed comfortable in my arms. He went around all over the house meowing away. I was just amazed at how tiny he was and is. He seemed quite comfortable and explored the living room at leisure. 

And then I let the dogs out of the bedroom where they had been locked up and all hell broke loose for a couple of minutes. The poor kitten hid under the bar and refused to come out. He stayed there for almost half a day and I only saw his face when Anshuman came home and gave him some treats. I mean I tried giving him treats but he bit me. I expected that. It really upset me at the time. I love cats and they bite me. My husband does NOT love them and they curl up against him like he's some cat whisperer. I'm tenacious if nothing else so I patiently waited for my turn. Anshuman loves Sherlock. I thought it would take him seven days to fall in love with a kitten. It took him less than seven minutes. Please watch the video for proof.

It took about three days for Sherlock (I named him at 3 am one night. All good ideas hit you in that mildly anaesthetised state at 3 am) to come out of hiding and begin to interact with my two dogs. He obviously has no idea how small he is. I suspect he knows how sharp his nails are so he slapped everybody every time anyone came close to him. My poor Pablo had it the worst because he was dying to play with Sherlock and the little midget was not having it. 

By the end of his first week Sherlock fell in love with Mili my Jack Russell baby. She didn't try to play with him even once but she patiently tolerated his attentions and now he regularly cuddles up with her and takes long naps. The only time I can actually cuddle him is when he is fast asleep. Kisses are a big no no but I kiss him anyway. Of course he rockets out of my grip in about three seconds of realising that the kisses have begun. I'll teach him. Pablo, my French Bulldog used to hate being kissed as a puppy. I taught him. Now he takes it like a man for about thirty seconds then rockets out of my grip.

Sherlock is my dream kitten. I saw about a million cat videos and he did one better than all of them put together. He is the funniest, most curious and mildly weird boy. The first few days he constantly 'talked'. I swear I got tired of talking to him because if I stopped responding, he just 'talked' louder. I think he just had a lot to say about everything he saw during that time. He still talks but a lot lesser. Now he talks when he is pooping or eating. Don't ask. I don't know why he's so happy doing those things and needs to express himself. I'm just glad he is eating well and his digestive system is in perfect shape and he is healthy and happy.

Pablo and Sherlock are fairly good friends now and even though love is distant it is possible, I think. I hope. Last but not the least, I realised my dream of being a cat mommy. I now have three adorable people to love and kiss and squish and take good care of. Touchwood, I'm so blessed. If you don't believe any of what I just said, please watch this.


2 comments:

Priyanka said...

The smallest with the most energy. ��

Parul Gahlot said...

Yes, indeed!!