Thursday, June 02, 2016

I don't get it

 I went to an art gallery today. It's called 1X1 and an artist called Sunil Bonde was exhibiting his work there. I should have been there by 11:30 in the morning but I got there at around 3 in the afternoon. I'm slow like that. I mean some days are slow like that. Fortunately I had the GPS coordinates so I listened to the directions of the annoying Google Maps woman and reached the place after getting lost for precisely five minutes. I was very proud of myself.


I looked around and the installation above looked interesting. When I looked closer I realised that the little objects hanging from the wall were beakers and lamps with wicks. They seemed to be everywhere. On the right the wicks are on the backs of elephants.




And here's a rooster melting on a globe with a wick on its head. Anyway, it all went a little over my head. I was later told that the artist was making a statement about the effect of oil on the globe resulting in wars and such. I thought it was a lot of effect and very little skill. Somehow his work failed to grab my attention.

There was also an installation which was essentially Queen Elizabeth's crown all in black plastic with cheap shiny crystal type things in place of the jewels. Again, I shook my head. "I don't get it." May be I'm just too slow and ignorant about modern art.









There was a mirror in the gallery so I took a selfie. They also had an amazing collection of art books. I will surely go again!

No comments: