Saturday, September 27, 2014

That fantasy

So I had a strange dream in the morning. I dreamt that Anshuman and I were driving in the Pajero and I told him we should sell it and buy a Red Jeep exactly like the one in the picture. Anshuman told me to withdraw 10,000 dirhams from the ATM and when I got back he said we'll buy one right away. I was thrilled of course. I woke up and told my husband about the dream. He said," Your car is due for service and where is the accident report? It needs to be repaired." My dream died a quick death. "But it's a temporary death. At some point it'll come true." and then I thought "how materialistic of me!"

It's true and I admit it rather shamefully, sometimes I'm hopelessly materialistic. That new dress, that new laptop, that new phone, that new necklace. At least I don't crave diamonds and I'm sure Anshuman breathes a sigh of relief that I'm happier with an amethyst. Anyway the point is as my father in law always says,"Not what you want but what you need."

You need a car to get from point A to point B not a Red Jeep. You need clothes not beautiful dresses. Yes theoretically I understand it and I agree with it wholeheartedly but then you walk into a mall, you see a roguish looking guy zipping in a red Jeep Wrangler and you sigh and that's the end of your simple living and high thinking. Recently someone said,"You're a shopaholic." and it struck me like a blow in the gut. I've never thought of myself as a shopaholic. And yet I've realised that ever since I stopped working full time I end up buying more and earning nearly nothing. When I was working I had no time to shop and now there's way too much time to lust after this and that and the other. Makes me think it's time for some serious reflection. It's time to start a personal project which fulfils the deeper need to create rather than own.

And then I started listening to this song this morning which talks about something in a similar vein. This is the first song I've heard from Lorde and I like the woman. Her voice is rather ordinary but I like the rhythm and the lyrics. Here you go

Royals by Lorde

And we'll never be royals (royals).
It don't run in our blood,
That kind of luxe just ain't for us.
We crave a different kind of buzz.
Let me be your ruler (ruler),
You can call me queen Bee
And baby I'll rule, I'll rule, I'll rule, I'll rule.
Let me live that fantasy.

2 comments:

Gazal said...

I completly subscribe to the thought that we need a lot for our greed and very little for our need. I love lusting after cars and bikes, but rarely feel the need to own them. Maybe when the need arises, so will the car. Tell me when the red jeep comes in :)Keep writing. You look totally in sync, in that dress, with that jeep.

Parul Gahlot said...

Yaaa... but I seriously need to curb this need for instant gratification and lusting after things... create rather than own... I'm gonna try... seriously :)