Friday, April 05, 2013

'Nothing in particular' the film

Nothing in particular

Above is a link to my film 'Nothing in Particular'. It was the third film I made at NID and probably my best effort at film making. I'm not saying that it is a great film, all I'm saying is that it is very close to my heart. Many of my friends are in the film. The production stills are in another post below called 3, Old Lane. Anshuman was watching the film and I kept feeling so embarrassed at listening to the voiceover. The voiceover is essentially the whole film. I remember how confused I was about making a film. I couldn't think of one thing that I wanted to make a film on. None of my ideas seemed any good. I sat in the old canteen for hours and wrote about all sorts of stuff blackening many many pages. This film for me is nostalgia of the best kind. Many of my friends are in the film. Anshuman watched it just now despite me cringing at hearing my words out loud. I'm so used to hearing my words only in my head or printed on paper that to hear them said out loud makes me feel like such a fraud. He thinks it's a wonderful film. The way he described it is,"You know it's like you have a maths problem and you throw up your hands in the air and say- I don't fuckin' care about the answer." Yes I was very confused and I ended up making a film about my confusion. I enjoyed every minute of making it. I wrote a little song which goes on the credits. My friend Ranjit played the guitar and sang it.

In some ways I'm still just as confused about life. The questions have changed. The issues have changed but somewhere within my heart I'm still the same girl blackening the pages.

6 comments:

ARUN GUPTA said...

"You know it's like you have a maths problem and you throw up your hands in the air and say- I don't fuckin' care about the answer."

WHAT A NICE WAY TO EVOKE THE FEEL OF YOUR FILM :)

AND YES, THE SONG AT THE END IS BEAUTIFUL, IN ITS WORDS, MUSIC, SINGING, IMAGERY AND SEQUENCING.

Parul Gahlot said...

Thanks so much Arun :)

Sunil Deepak said...

I need to watch it again to get it, may be this time I will "watch it" with my eyes closed! I get constantly distracted between images and words, it is as if when I watch I can't listen. Never knew that I can't multi-task ...

Parul Gahlot said...

Thank you for watching Mama! Yes there are so many words :)

Anonymous said...

" So you try to enjoy the silence of freedom..."

"So many people have walked through the allies of your mind.... when are you leaving"

This movie has spoken to me in so many ways than the words that make it up!

Gazal

Parul Gahlot said...

Thanks so much for watching Gazal :)