Monday, June 04, 2012

Monday morning

I wrote two lines and deleted them. I usually don't do that on the blog but somehow the lines made no sense. It's almost 2 in the afternoon. I started the post in the morning but then got busy and forgot about it. When I came back to the page I realised I didn't like what I wrote so I deleted it. It's been an interesting morning. I need a coffee. I'll be right back. I have the car now so I'll literally be back in 15 minutes.(I want to make a smiley but I won't!!)

Oh man they make such orgasmic coffee. Needless to reiterate the fact that I'm in love with Starbucks. The song that's playing now is called 'Frankie' by Sister Sledge. The other song they sung which you might remember is 'We are family'. So 'Frankie' has some great memories attached to it. I was about 14 years old and went on a trek to Manali with a group from school. I remember it was great fun and we used to have aloo poori for lunch which is besides the point.

So a couple of months ago I was casually chatting with a school friend who reminded me of this trip. I didn't remember that he was part of the group but he remembered me well because every night that we camped and a fire was lit I as asked to sing. My repertoire at the time included two songs- 'Walk like an egyptian' by Bangles and the other song which I couldn't remember. My friend reminded me that it was 'Frankie'. I downloaded the song and it struck me that he was right. I did sing that song by the fire surrounded by the hills many times.

It's such a sweet song completely appropriate for a 14 year old. I apologised to my friend for having completely forgotten him and thanked him for reminding me of the song. I was talking to someone about remembering and loving some songs forever and she said that people outgrow certain music. I don't outgrow any kind of music I love. Once I love a song I always love it. I still love George Michael in his 'Wham' days when I had no idea about his sexual orientation, Madonna whose poster I also had in my room and of course Michael Jackson. There used to be these lyric books that Archies used to sell back then. I had all of them I think.

Although when I think about my teenage idol Steffi Graf always springs to mind. My father would always support Gabriella Sabatini while I rooted for Graf. I loved her poise on the court. The sheer control and power she had. She could literally wear her opponent down with her tenacity. Whenever it looked like Graf was losing I couldn't watch the game and would periodically walk in and out of my room to the living room where my father would laugh and say,"If Steffi doesn't win Dimple will commit suicide!". My nickname is Dimple. And yes I was named after Dimple Kapadia because 'Bobby' the movie came out sometime around when I was born.

I feel like writing more but I'm going to stop before I give you the low down on my teenage years. Coffee is certainly good for writing. I promise to consume more of it. (I'm resisting the smiley)

1 comment:

soulitude said...

Lovely post! Brought back so many memories for me too! I love Bangles( punn intended! :) Walk like an egyptian and eternal flame being my all time favourites! Frankie dhundla sa yaad hai. And I agree about not outgrowing songs that u loved once upon a time. U may not like them as much or as intensely but you still like them! From now u are Dimpal for me ;) Yahan pe starbucks nahi hai. Kabse suna hai that they are going to launch here but not yet I guess! Anyway Im not a huge coffee fan but since uv called their coffee orgasmic I wud certainly like to try :) And lst but not the least I have compensated for the lack of smileys in ur post. He he!